Window 2 Woodmore

The Student News Site of Woodmore High School

Breaking News
  • April 17April 2024 Student of the Month announced: Congratulations, Keira Travis!
  • April 17April 2024 Senior of the Month announced: Congratulations, Luke Avers!
Latest Sports Scores

Window 2 Woodmore

Window 2 Woodmore

What Happened To Our School System?

Have phones ruined kids’ ability to succeed in school? Survey says yes, as there has been a severe decrease in students’ academic performance. Across the nation there have been historic lows in math scores and severe drops in english. Experts can only point to a few explanations as to why this is happening, such as the pandemic and students’ use of their phones. 

There have been historic drops in students’ test scores. One of the most affected grades where eighth grade students haven’t been able to succeed in school. The results from the National Assessment and Educational Progress were very disappointing. After testing both the fourth and eighth grade students, 25% of fourth graders were below the basic level in 2022. As well as having the average math score dropped 5 points. While 38% of eighth graders were below basic level in the same year, and dropping 8 points in math.  On top of the troubling drops in scores, the score differences from a student with a low income family versus one with a higher income family have become more extreme. 

So what is the reason for these new average scores? The Pandemic was disastrous for the school system. The long stretch of inefficient online school has left huge gaps in the students’ learning. These gaps make it harder for the students to progress and they would need additional time on top of their current school work to make up for it. Studies are saying that on average students would need an extra four months of learning in reading and four and a half months in math. This forces schools to push the pace with their curriculum which can leave some students behind. Some that aren’t able to learn at a higher rate won’t be able to recover from the gap.  Even if they all could learn at this rate there are still other factors affecting their learning. 

Another pressing issue in the school system is students’ use of their phones.  95% of all American students have a cell phone. As well as the majority of them as young eleven.  A new study shows that students on average check their phones every eight and half minutes. These distractions in class can severely hinder students’ learning curve. Especially with the huge set back that was the pandemic. Already struggling students won’t be able to keep up with the standard. 

With prolonged phone usage there are other side effects that can hinder the students’ learning. Lots of studies have found that phones affect the students attention span, dramatically shortening it. Which essentially makes class time less efficient. It is an addictive behavior where they can’t go without their phone throughout the day. Some of the worst effects include depression, loss of sleep, and increased stress levels. Studies are showing that it only takes two hours of phone usage in a day for the mental effects to begin. So if students already need that extra four to four and half months of class time and they can’t focus due to their short attention spans, as well as being tired from not sleeping and probably depressed from social media usage, there’s almost no way the students would be able to catch up to where they should have been without the pandemic. 

In conclusion, the combination of the pandemic and overuse of cell phones has hindered the school system’s ability to teach. Not only is this creating more distractions but it is setting students back so far behind where they should be and making it harder for them to progress in their academics and the aspects that surround it. Students are not receiving the full benefits of an education due to the lack of engagement in the classroom. The school system is failing and there must be something done about it, starting with taking away the trouble causing demons that are in our pockets.