Window 2 Woodmore

The Student News Site of Woodmore High School

Breaking News
  • April 17April 2024 Student of the Month announced: Congratulations, Keira Travis!
  • April 17April 2024 Senior of the Month announced: Congratulations, Luke Avers!
Latest Sports Scores

Window 2 Woodmore

Window 2 Woodmore

Take It To The Hoop

The girl’s basketball teams this season have had to make a tough transition into the new SBC league. The varsity team has 9 wins and 6 losses. The JV team has 13 wins and 2 losses. The game of basketball is not just about learning the plays and going out and playing a game. It’s all about the mindset. The mentality of a basketball player has to be all in and all about the focus. I’ve asked some of the seniors on the girl’s team about their experiences playing basketball and how they are leaders of the team. 

I talked to senior Abby Sandrock and she said “As seniors I think it’s our job to be the ones that create a good culture for our team. For example, we should always have a good attitude and support our teammates no matter what. I think just being a good role model overall is our responsibility especially for the younger players just coming in. I think this shows them what is expected for their future years in the program”. Sandrock has been playing basketball since the second grade. She says she has individually grown throughout the years and has become more confident in what she is capable of. Sandrock’s best advice is to have fun playing basketball with your family. “Cherish every moment you get to spend with them because it’s an opportunity not everyone gets to experience and the time you have with them will go by fast.” Sandrock’s favorite memory from basketball was getting coached by her dad in her early years of playing. Sandrock said, “he has taught me everything I know about basketball”. 

I was also able to talk to senior Madi Hammer. Madi keeps her leadership skills by setting good examples for her teammates. She does this by keeping her emotions in check when something doesn’t go her way and by making sure everyone on the court knows what play or defense we are playing. Hammer has been playing since the fourth grade and she has made incredible progress. “As a freshman, I started out sitting on the bench then eventually started to earn playing time because of my hustle. I started JV my sophomore year and the junior year floated between JV and varsity. Senior year I have been earning significant playing time and have stepped up as a leader for my team”. When asked for advice for other girls on the team, Hammer said that communication is key, and you should not be afraid to talk to your coaches or a trainer about issues or injuries. As well as Sandrock, Hammer also said to cherish the moment. Hammer’s favorite memory from basketball was sophomore year undefeated in the NBC on the JV team.

The girls have already come so far this season and believe it or not they don’t have many games left. Make sure to come out and support the girl’s basketball team and show that Woodmore pride!