Window 2 Woodmore

The Student News Site of Woodmore High School

Breaking News
  • April 17April 2024 Student of the Month announced: Congratulations, Keira Travis!
  • April 17April 2024 Senior of the Month announced: Congratulations, Luke Avers!
Latest Sports Scores

Window 2 Woodmore

Window 2 Woodmore

Passing the Torch: The Future of Journalism

A 45-year Veteran Associated Press Correspondent reflects on his career and the future of the profession.
Dave+Kolpack+-+Named+the+2015+North+Dakota+sports+journalist+of+the+year+
Michael Vosburg
Dave Kolpack – Named the 2015 North Dakota sports journalist of the year

After 45 years in the journalism business, I have called it quits.

From stints as a sports columnist who covered the World Series and Super Bowl and other pro events; a crime and courts reporter who witnessed three executions and a notorious death penalty trial; and an Associated Press correspondent who handled breaking new stories for six states _ it has been a great ride.

A reporter retiring and/or taking another job _ in my case I am now teaching English Learning to mostly refugee students at a North Dakota high school _ is nothing unusual these days. The transition of the news industry away from print, television and radio into digital forms has caused major changes in longtime media sources, especially newspapers. That trend has been outlined by the Pew Research Center and known by reporters for more than a decade.

Simply put, many traditional media companies are laying off people or going out of business. Some of it is due to changes in readership habits to fit personal beliefs. I believe that a large part is because newspapers and other traditional reporting outlets were slow to enter the digital world.

Even so, I am excited and proud to pass the torch to the next generation of reporters. That group includes several writers I have enjoyed reading in Window 2 Woodmore, which is published under the watchful eye of my friend, Mr. Luke Fannin. The paper’s special series on the business of news and integrity in journalism should be required reading for all high school journalism students.

For now, at least, some publications known for accuracy and investigative work have managed to keep their heads above water by concentrating on big-ticket stories and investigative journalism. Others have converted to nonprofits, trying to take money and the influence that goes with it out of the equation. The W2W package outlined cases where money and ratings has led to poor decisions by national reporters.

While there are entertaining writers and multimedia types on social media, its content can be lacking on facts. Journalism has always had numerous roles: to entertain, inform, educate and spark discussion , with accuracy at the top of every beat. Many consider the most important task to be that of a watchdog on government, corruption, crime, ethics and wrongdoing of all types. Without it, the Los Angeles Times Editorial Board says, the “damage to our democracy will be severe and irreversible.”

I’m convinced by reading the W2W series and talking with other young people that there’s a desire to work in the truth and integrity business. The University of North Dakota decided this year to reinstate its journalism degree, noting there is a dire need for a new generation of journalists.

I am 64 years old. While the last decade has been challenging for journalism, I am hopeful and confident in the next round of reporters. We need you now more than ever.

Dave Kolpack

EL paraeducator

Former Associated Press correspondent

Fargo, North Dakota