Window 2 Woodmore

The Student News Site of Woodmore High School

Breaking News
  • April 17April 2024 Student of the Month announced: Congratulations, Keira Travis!
  • April 17April 2024 Senior of the Month announced: Congratulations, Luke Avers!
Latest Sports Scores

Window 2 Woodmore

Window 2 Woodmore

No-Phone November – Results and Reflection

It comes as no surprise that putting our phones down has real advantages.
L.Fannin
Students who participated in the challenge

The Guidance Office started a “No Phone November” challenge for the students at Woodmore High School. The goal of this challenge was for students to be more efficient during the school day, with the expectation that this would lead to an increase in grades and better productivity. In addition, Mr. Clair hoped this would improve communication skills and emotional well-being. From November 6-30, 10 students voluntarily turned their phones into the Guidance Office when they arrived at school.

After the first week of the challenge, Sophomore Blane Overmyer stated, “I noticed I could focus on doing other things that I had for homework. I also talked to others in my free time more often. I didn’t notice anything in the grade change. I would say a positive experience so far.”  Senior Emma Hammer chose to participate because she wanted to support Mr. Clair and his efforts at Woodmore. She filled up her free time by reading and felt that there were “many more hours in the day with no phone.”

Out of the ten students who participated, we had eight grade improvements throughout the time allotted.  Some students showed multiple grade improvements within their own class schedules, while all of the students who participated maintained average to high passing grades throughout, in at least 3 of their classes.  2 students had grades drop throughout the process with one of those students not fully completing the challenge.  All students who participated had a minimum of 6 classes.  The commonality that likely influenced the data was that all students noted the increase of extra time.  Statements varied on the use of that time and it can be concluded that in order to determine the best use of that extra time, healthy phone habits have to be practiced over a significant length of time to truly see the benefits.

During lunch on December 1, the “No Phone November” students met with Mr. Clair to reflect and provide feedback about the challenge. “It went pretty well! I felt more productive throughout the school day,” observed Sophomore Camille Strong. Students were rewarded with Chick-fil-A and Costco cake.